Procedures for Inman Ship-outs:
1) A representative from Inman Shipping Worldwide will call with the first call. Take the first call and get as much information as possible (sometimes Inman does not have any information because they have not received vitals from receiver). They will send an email to Dispatch with their Inman Shipping Worldwide Face-Sheet that has decedent name, Next of Kin, Agent Information (Carnes) and Receiver information. Call the place of death (hospital, nursing home, hospice-inpatient facility, medical examiner, etc.) to verify decedent is ready for release and gather more vitals for the first call. If at the medical examiner, Inman has on file the release form for the Next of Kin to sign. They will send that to the receiver to get signed. Once signed, they will send it over to us and we can make the removal. Create an SRS case and enter vitals and information in the file. Print the First Call Sheet.
2) The Inman Shipping Worldwide Face-Sheet is your OFH Transit Form. This form is taped to the left side of the purple folder inside. Make a label for the folder. (Ex: OFH16-123456 Last Name, First Name) This form is taped to the left side of the purple folder inside. Make a label for the folder. (Ex: OFH16-123456 Last Name, First Name)
3) Create a pick up notice and email over, along with the First Call Sheet to Dispatch (email@example.com) and ask the driver to get face sheet if from hospice or hospital (sometimes this will have more info than the OFH has like SSN, home address, NOK info, doc info, time of death information, etc.)
4) On the Inman Shipping Worldwide Face-Sheet, they indicate if we have permission to embalm and from whom. If we have permission to embalm, fill out the Authorization to Embalm (located in SRS file under Printed Materials, Client and State Authorizations dropdown option, Embalming Authorization - TX). Ask if there are any embalming requests or special instructions for the embalming. Inman sometimes indicates special instructions on their face-sheet.
5) Fill out a Prep for Service (S: drive, Forms-Carnes, Prep for Service). Include any special instructions for embalming, clothes provided, flight times (if known. If unknown, put “Flight TBD”), casket info (we put Inman Combo Unit unless a casket was purchased for flight), etc.
6) Email the Prep for Service and Authorization to Embalm to Prep at firstname.lastname@example.org
7) Start death record in TER. Designate the registrar. Inman will send over vitals sheet once they receive it from the receiver. If not a lot of information is known and they need the deceased sooner rather than later, we can make some of the vitals up in TER so that we don’t leave anything blank and we can still move forward with obtaining the Burial Transit Permit. You can use “Unknown” for parents’ names, birthplace, etc. and then change when we do get the vitals from OFH. The “Type of disposition” will always be REMOVAL FROM STATE on FODV for ship-outs unless we are shipping within the state of Texas. If we are flying within the state, the type of disposition can either be cremation or burial). Enter the name of the receiving funeral home in box 24 for Additional Funeral Service Provider. Inman Shipping Worldwide does not go on the death certificate.
8) Print the Informant Verification (Facts of Death Verification or FODV) to either fax to the registrar or give to a driver to get from registrar (City of Houston and Harris County will have to send a driver. I have a green binder in my cabinet with all the registrars that we can fax a request for Burial Transit Permit to) to request a Burial Transit Permit.
9) Fax the FODV and fax cover sheet (under S: drive, Forms-Carnes, Fax-Blank) to the registrar. (Fill out the fax cover sheet requesting the BTP for Removal from State and ask the registrar to send a burial transit permit back for removal from state). If the permit is from City of Houston or Harris County, create a Work Order and email the work order along with FODV to Dispatch at email@example.com and ask for a driver to get that for you.
10) Once we have the permit, we let Inman know so that they can book the flight. Eagles Wings Air will email the flight once it is booked. They call to confirm receipt to us and the receiver. Once the flight is booked, create the Flight Cover Sheet (located under SRS, Printed Materials, Shipping Tab at the top) and fill out all the flight information that is on the flight itinerary from Eagles Wings Air and print the form once inputted.
11) Email Dispatch, Prep, CSH receptionist, and Funeral Directors the Flight Cover Sheet, Eagles Wings Flight itinerary, and Burial Transit Permit. Ask for someone to confirm receipt and that they have printed and posted on the board in CSH.
12) Scan into SRS the flight itinerary packet that you just emailed and put a note in SRS the flight that was just booked and include the Confirmation Air Bill number.
13) Call Dispatch to confirm it was received. We want to make sure all parties involved are aware of the upcoming flight.
14) Once you have correct vitals on FODV, print the Informant Verification (Facts of Death Verification or FODV) and email to the Inman to firstname.lastname@example.org to proof. Inman will send a signed FODV and DC request form when it is verified and they will let you know if you will be mailing the Death Certificates to the receiver or to the Informant.
15) Once the vitals are confirmed correct, designate the medical certifier in TER.
16) Once the death certificate is certified, we can order the death certificates. Remember to click on the Demographic Verification after the DCOA application is complete. This sends the death record out of our queue to the local registrar for filing.
17) Mail the death certificates certified to either the receiver or informant, whoever is indicated on the death certificate request form.
Invoice Inman by emailing the invoice to email@example.com. Eagles Wings Air will invoice Inman
Shipping Worldwide for the flight.
To Invoice per our contract with Inman Shipping Worldwide:
Inman Ship-out Removal: $175.00
Preparation & Paperwork: $255.00
Transportation to Airport: $20.00
Autopsy Repair: $75.00
Death Certificates: $21 for first copy and $4 for each additional certified copy; Pending Cause: $21
Certified Mail Fee: $10
Additional Mileage Fee: $1.75/per loaded mile outside of our 75-mile radius